Saturday, March 3, 2018

Beaty Street Trees

Today I visited some of my favorite trees in the Beaty St. Woods here in Davidson, NC.  My friends helped me take some measurements and I took some pictures of the trees.  I thought you might like hearing about the trees I visited.  If you would like to know more you can comment at the end of this post and ask questions about the trees.  You could also come to the Beaty St. Woods and visit these trees and many others.  Maybe I'll be able to post a map that shows where these particular trees are soon.  But today I'll just show you the trees.  As spring comes there will be more to see.
I'm a Tulip Poplar and I'm 7 feet 7 inches in circumference

Willow Oak

Hi, I'm a Willow Oak tree living in the Beaty St. Woods.  I'm  9 feet and 7 inches in circumference
 No one knows exactly how old I am but I've been here quite a while

I'm called Ghost Cedar.  I'm 6 feet 3 inches in circumference and I won't grow anymore.
So the Tulip Poplar and the Willow Oak are still in their winter dormant stage but will begin to get leaves and flowers soon.  The cedar is actually dead.  It won't grow anymore but it's still beautiful.  And, unlike many dead trees, it won't start to decay for a very long time.  And although commonly known as an Eastern Red Cedar this tree is actually a Juniper.  Maybe this is more information than you want but it's good to know these things. Eastern Red Cedar

No comments:

Post a Comment