Saturday, April 3, 2010

Dawn Chorus!

This picture was made a few weeks ago, notice the snowy background. But what I want to talk about today is the sound I hear early in the morning before the sun rises. It's called the dawn chorus and all the birds are singing. We heard a Northern Cardinal singing outside our window this morning about 6:30. It was saying Cheer, Cheer, Cheer, Birdy, Birdy, Birdy, or at least that's what it sounds like. And then a little later I heard Poor Sam Peabody, Peabody, Peabody. The white-throated sparrow has such a sweet song. Some people say it says, instead, My sweet Canada, Canada, Canada. Anyway, it's a sweet sound to hear. These birds will be migrating north soon. Probably to Canada! Enjoy these beautiful early morning sounds.

2 comments:

  1. I love to hear the birds in the morning. It's still a little chilly to sit on the deck as is my preference in the late dark and early dawn but that'll happen soon.Yesterday I heard a hoot owl in the Guilford Woods. I was actually in our back yard when I heard it but sometimes on my walks I've seen these owls sailing through the trees.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I often hear owls at night, if I happen to be awake before dawn. Did you know that the skunk's only natural predator (besides automobiles) is the Great Horned Owl?

    ReplyDelete